Skip to main content

Reply to "Do players automatically reach their potential or do they have to be driven to it?"

RJM posted:

Add to the original post ... I was at a high school game in the small state last spring. I chatted up a high school coach watching the game. The winner would be his next playoff opponent. Some of his players were talking up a player like he was the greatest thing since Babe Ruth. He was last year’s Gatorade POY. He went on to an Ohio Valley Conference team. 

I thought to myself every team in my son’s conference (large state) had at least one better player. Then I thought to myself, what would these kids think if they saw a WWBA 17u tournament game. The coach I was talking with had moved from Arizona. He commented these kids have no clue what real talent is. 

yep.  We face people mocking spending money going to WWBA etc. and I've learned to not even defend it.  They all think the local kids are as good as it gets.  Big Fish Small poind.    I don't think our HS coach has any clue what he's looking at either.  Loves hard throwers even if they can't throw strikes. Couldn't pick a good catcher or hitter out of a lineup with little leaguers. 

There was a parent on my older son's team (a neighbor in fact) who was talking about how great their kid was and all the college attention. His PBR numbers (all I could compare) are significantly lower than my 13 year old.  They have no idea what they are looking at because they haven't been "to the show".   Just try to avoid and smile as much as I can.