Skip to main content

Reply to "Do players recruit players into the portal"

@nycdad posted:

But anyone that has a kid playing, and playing summer ball. I've sure they've heard of some coach using a player from their team as a go between. This should shock nobody in 2024.

From the outside looking in, this stuff makes my head spin.  Of course it is going on.  People talk on the record and off the record every day.   It has to do with money, the potential to make money, and playing time.   The grass is always greener somewhere else, and your new portal team is just going to pencil everyone into their starting  lineup (insert sarcasm here) card.   

You don't have to be Nostradamus to know this was going to happen.  Before all this NIL/Covid19/NCAA hoopla, you only had to put your faith in the one college recruiting  & accepting you.   Now, you have to put your faith in NCAA portal and all the teams looking to pull from the portal every year.   Why not just build a giant roulette wheel with the all the portal college names on it?   You could spin that roulette wheel every year for 4-5 years if you so desire, and attend a different school each year.   It has become a joke.  Just because the rules allow for it, doesn't mean you should participate in it.

Higher education and college sports has lost focus.   Please explain to me how this instability helps a student learn, develop skills, and get their college degree.   The portal (as it exists today) was a very bad idea.  It needs guardrails.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth