Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

All good input. YES, play ball! There is much more to learn from being a leader and simply competing for his team. It's easy to play for a good team and adversity will only make him better!

My '18 has played for a very weak HS program. Every player plays the game for the enjoyment of the game, most seldom seek playing after HS as their goals are different. He helps his peers with pointers when asked and supports his teammates leading by example.

NEVER discount what the HS coach or program can do for your player. My sons HS coach received a phone call from his future college coach.............In 22 years, not one college coach had ever contacted him for a specific player. This phone call had one question, "What am I getting"? He knew the HS coach had no skin in the game and wasn't being paid by the player/parents. The college coach went on to state that travel coaches will lie to get a player to the next level as they benefit   from it.

Knowing the coach was a teacher first and  baseball coach second made him a valued opinion in the recruitment of my son. I'm glad as a parent that we instilled good values that show good character both on and off the field.