Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

Robrod posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Need more details

Valid reasons (in my opinion) to not play High School Baseball:

Injury concerns.  Arm getting abused by coach.  Coach not willing to change the arm abuse.

Other than that, unless the Coach is a complete sociopathic criminal, or engaging in overly excessive behavior such as punching players in the face, telling pitchers to intentionally throw at opponent's heads, sexually harassing the player's Mom etc, I'd say go play...

Only slight overuse issues... He led the school in innings, pitches, strikouts last year and was pitcher of the year.  I'm not OVERLY concerned.  he's not a pitcher as much as he is a hitter and he's pretty good at telling the coach when he's sore... they listen.

I'd classify the coach as a grumpy old guy.... so what.  He can deal with that. 

I think it's more about the fact that it's not fun to lose and the way it's happening.  He puts a lot on himself.  He feels that he needs to be perfect and if he's perfect they have a chance to complete.  Being good, the coach relies heavily on him to be perfect....   I do think the weight of the team is on his shoulders.  I think this tension makes playing not fun.

I would say that learning to deal with that pressure is a good thing... embrace it.  

Agree?

Yes, agree and would add...  perspective.  Is there really a lot of pressure for a bad HS team?  They are not expected to win so there is only tremendous upside.  Maybe he can shift some of his efforts from being perfect to helping others be better players so he doesn't have to be perfect.  That can go a long way for him, his teammates and his HS program - IF it is done with good attitude and perspective.

This type of pressure is really nothing compared to what he is likely to face going forward.  So, yes, embrace it.