Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

Scouts do not come to watch teams. They come to watch players. The obvious metrics are easy. Arm strength, athletic ability, ability to hit, power, fielding. You learn a great deal about the make up of a player when he his getting his teeth kicked in and he plays like he's not. You learn a great deal about a player when he's down by 10 but you can't tell by the way he competes. Scouts understand that HS teams can be bad. They understand you can't control the quality of your team mates. How do you handle it?

For me these situations are just opportunities. An opportunity to make those around you better. An opportunity to be a leader. An opportunity to grow. Scouts could quite honestly care less about the quality of the HS team you play on. They are there to see if you have the tools and you can use them. And of course what is your make up?

Will it matter if you simply leave and find a better team to play on? Maybe not. Will it raise a red flag or two? Maybe not. Will it be an opportunity lost? I always go back to a kid that was pulled because his team was way up and he was about to get a chance to launch his 3rd HR of the night. There were numerous scouts in the house. What did he do? He shagged foul balls and cheered his team on the last 2 innings. I think that made a bigger impression on the scouts there that night than Josh Hamilton's play did. At least that's what many said.