Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

2020.2023dad posted:

So for all these reasons, no reason to get your nose out of joint if your D1 prospect Sophomore kid is playing with his buddies on JV and they move up the son of the asst coach, his buddy, and the son of the booster club president?  Or am I wrong about that?  

Well, there would have to be quite a few assumptions made that may or may not be true in order for us to answer your question.  One thing I can offer up with near certainty... If we are talking about actually getting varsity PLAYING TIME, if that D1 prospect sophomore has already developed to the point where there is CLEAR SEPARATION between him and others getting PLAYING TIME at varsity, the vast majority of HS coaches would choose that player to get that playing time and give their team the best chance to win, no matter who's son the other players might be.

There are a heck of a lot of other factors as to who goes on what roster.  It's probably safe to say that we typically have a few JV players who are better than the last few to make the varsity roster.  But things like making sure the better players get game innings, ability and willingness to fill a role, position fit, likely eligibility, chemistry and a whole lot of other things come into play.

There is always going to be bias in many ways for a variety of reasons.  The message to send the player is always to create clear separation.  If you haven't, work harder.  Just as there will always be hurdles.  If you haven't cleared them, jump higher.  Find a way.  Focusing on those biases and hurdles as things that are keeping you down is self-defeating excuse making.  Focus on them as challenges to be conquered and rise up.  I have a small handful of players who will not let me take them out of the lineup.  Not because they say so, because they play so.

Last edited by cabbagedad