Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

2020.2023dad posted:
RJM posted:

The top soccer academies are telling their players (D1 and pro prospects) you will not play for the high school. Maybe there are less soccer coaches who played the game at a high level and know the game than baseball.

I have one soccer player. In our area many of the soccer club coaches didn't go to an american HS with sports. They may have no idea what HS camaraderie is all about and selfishly are just trying to keep their lucrative soccer coach gigs, by controlling the product.   Sadly we've reached a tipping point in baseball where HS programs are just for fun; but since you can't do both at the same time, there's a conflict.  I think state athletic associations should eliminate that restriction but require that pitching logs are kept, but I can see arguments on both sides including prevention of injuries etc. 

My son was recruited by a couple of elite soccer programs. They wanted him to drop all other sports and not play varsity soccer. My son told them he’s a baseball player. He did play varsity soccer and went to an elite goalie camp. 

Last edited by RJM