Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

RJM posted:
Robrod posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Need more details

Valid reasons (in my opinion) to not play High School Baseball:

Injury concerns.  Arm getting abused by coach.  Coach not willing to change the arm abuse.

Other than that, unless the Coach is a complete sociopathic criminal, or engaging in overly excessive behavior such as punching players in the face, telling pitchers to intentionally throw at opponent's heads, sexually harassing the player's Mom etc, I'd say go play...

Only slight overuse issues... He led the school in innings, pitches, strikouts last year and was pitcher of the year.  I'm not OVERLY concerned.  he's not a pitcher as much as he is a hitter and he's pretty good at telling the coach when he's sore... they listen.

I'd classify the coach as a grumpy old guy.... so what.  He can deal with that. 

I think it's more about the fact that it's not fun to lose and the way it's happening.  He puts a lot on himself.  He feels that he needs to be perfect and if he's perfect they have a chance to complete.  Being good, the coach relies heavily on him to be perfect....   I do think the weight of the team is on his shoulders.  I think this tension makes playing not fun.

I would say that learning to deal with that pressure is a good thing... embrace it.  

Agree?

If he can’t handle the weight of the high school team on his shoulders he’s a long way from having the required mental and emotional discipline to compete for playing time at the college level. He should play high school ball just to work through handling the pressure. 

Chances are there will be frustration and pressure at the college level. Everyone can play. Will he be mentally ready when he gets his shot? What happens if he’s hitting .240 and knows if he doesn’t perform better he could end up on the bench? What if he sits then gets one shot to prove himself? Will he be mentally ready?

From having played and watching both kids play it’s the players who have mental disciple who survive college ball. After the first five studs (relative to the level of play) chances are the next thirty are competing for playing time at about thirteen positions. 

It’s an honor to earn the right to play college ball. It’s a challenge to prove you deserve to stay and play.

RJM - This post is so right, and exactly what Ryno is dealing with right now.  His team would now probably be rated 40 - 50 in D-1, and yet, there are so many good players on the team.  There are a lot of good players, and as a result, there is immense pressure on these kids to perform.  They are constantly faced with, "If I don't perform, I may lose my spot."  

Unfortunately, Ryan has lost his, but it will be interesting to see how mentally tough he is.  I believe he is, and I believe that he has handled the demotion well; but only time will tell.