Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

2boydad posted:

I can't speak for pitcher's but for position players your HS can impact where you play at the next level. Better programs have better track records for feeding into college. It is also more competitive to make the team. Weaker programs Just the opposite.  Hence the rise in spring leagues here in Calif.  At Stanford camp I heard a Pac 12 RC tell the boys that  one of the questions he asks head coaches is how many D1 players the head coach has had come out of his HS. If it has been few or none, then he is less apt to consider a player from that school.  It's thought that weaker schools don't prepare a kid for the D1/D2 levels as well.

Everyone knew my sons wanted to play college ball at any level, and most of the players were on the team just for fun with no aspirations beyond HS ball. Some were surprised that they didn't transfer. My sons were told by more than one  local college coach that anyone going to their HS wouldn't be ready for college baseball, That the good serious players transfer. It didnt stop them, although it did limit their exposure despite being on a recognized travel squad.   They still found college spots. They played for their HS and now one is playing out of state and the other is fighting it out in JUCO. 

Just realize that the better programs have more options but it may be more difficult to make the team and get play time.  It is also who you know and who they know. 

I disagree. If you’re a D1 prospect chances are you’re on a quality travel team. You’re seeing plenty of quality competition all summer. You’re seen by a lot more colleges coaches than playing in high school. Chances are you’re quality travel program has better college contacts than the typical high school coach.

Last edited by RJM