Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

Scotty83 posted:

My sons new coaches came in with a no cut policy. They are trying to build up the program and want as many kids as possible. So that left us with some pretty bad players. One kid a senior who had never touched a baseball or bat before coming out. He said he had went all through HS and never really did anything and wanted to do at least one thing. My son, the only kid on the entire team that plays any kind of ball during the summer, and the only kid that has any dream of playing beyond HS, and the one kid who by others beliefs should want to transfer to a better program, took to this kid over the fall and winter workouts. They worked on hitting almost everyday. So first scrimmage of the year son goes 3 innings and K'd all 9 batters he faced. The game went 10 or 11 innings and everyone played. So in the last innining the aforementioned kid comes to the plate and on the first live pitch he had ever seen in his life, hits it about 375 to dead center on a field with a 390 fence hahaha. Now which do you think my son was most proud of. His performance or this kids at bat. Well the centerfielder camped under it for the out and as the kid ran through first and headed back to the dug out my son tackled him on the field lol. 

Our team isn't any good. Our coaches don't know a lot about baseball. Teachers kids play that shouldn't. Boosters kids play that shouldn't. But my son loves to play and has a blast on the team. The only thing stopping a kid from enjoying HS baseball is the kid himself.  Us parents need to remember to just shut up and not tell the kid he isn't having any fun. Yes I have to tell my self that a lot. 

As for the smaller lesser known programs. We're a tiny little nothing middle of no where school in a district full of tiny little nothing middle of no where schools. Most schools have at least one starter that can barely catch a ball. Our coaches are history, English, and science teaches who never played past HS if the even played HS. Yet our district still sends players to D1 programs every year. Including the occasional top 25 programs. The whole I didnt get recruited because of the HS I played for is an excuse nothing more. 

I’ve always felt more kids would have a good time playing sports if their parents would stop telling them they’re not having a good time.