Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Scouts value HS baseball enough for a player to toil In a bad program"

I've come around on this topic in a couple of months.

Increasingly in Wisconsin we are seeing high school players not playing for their high school and instead playing in a Travel Spring League.  2 months ago I would have said it was a mistake.  Now, I understand it.

The reality is, here in Wisconsin, because of weather related issues, the "season" gets condensed into 3-4 weeks.  Most of April gets rained out or snowed out, or you are playing in 40 degree weather.

Then in May, because of all the makeup games, you are playing 5-7 games a week.  Injury concerns are very real, especially concerns about arms and kids going from pitching 90+ pitches to then playing a defensive position that same day in a double header, or the next day.  This concern is increased because of several weeks of mostly practicing in a high school gym without proper arm care.  March games are nonexistent.  Outdoor practices in March or April are exceedingly rare.  Because of all the games in May, outdoor practices in that month are rare too.

Meanwhile, in the Travel Spring League.  There are indoor facilities that can accommodate games inside.  Players from March through April can get in 26 games on weekends while having the weekdays open to train.

It is a tough decision, but a decision I respect.  It doesn't even factor in whether a program or the competition is quality or not, whether a high school coach is inept or not.  Players from this state are trying to compete with kids from Baseball hotbeds in order to get a chance to play at the next level, and the injury risks are high trying to play so much in 40 degree weather on wet fields and condensing so many games into a short amount of time.  

Times are changing quickly in youth Baseball, and in this state this is one of those things that is changing.  A player who is very serious about Baseball has to make tough choices in Wisconsin.