Skip to main content

Reply to "Do We Push Coaches For a Decision?"

Swampboy posted:
2019Dad posted:
Swampboy posted:

Pushing coaches is like pushing on a rope.

When coaches know they want a player, they move decisively and unambiguously to recruit him. Telling a coach who hasn't decided you're part of his solution that you're ready to make a decision is not likely to motivate him to come forth with an offer. 

FenwaySouth's advice is sound, as always.

Best wishes, 

I dunno. I've seen coaches get pretty motivated by the interest of other coaches. Here's an example from two weeks ago:

Text from coach (who had been in touch all Spring and had finally seen son pitch at the WWBA): "are you still thinking about doing ____ showcase?" [an event in early August my son had previously indicated he might do]

Text from son: "No, I don't think so, I think I'm going to have to make some decisions before then"

Phone rings 30 second later. Coach gets details of visits/offers, including one from a league rival. Extends an invitation for a UV for three days later, and says the whole staff would be there.

Your example doesn't contradict my point.

In your situation, the school had recently seen and liked him, initiated follow-up contact, and then reacted to the news that they wouldn't have a chance to get a second look. 

Your situation is an example of the physical law of recruiting that a coach in motion tends to stay in motion. The OP was about how to act upon a coach at rest to put him into motion.

OK, fair enough. But I was reacting to your statement that the coach "moves decisively and unambiguously to recruit him." To me, saying "are you going to do _____ showcase?" is not really all that decisive or unambiguous. I mean, how should a kid interpret that? But when that particular RC found out there were other offers, all of a sudden he became decisive and unambiguous. 

I agree with you that if the coach isn't interested, other offers won't make him interested. But if the coach is kind of interested but thinks he has more time to make a decision, the presence of other offers can galvanize movement.