Skip to main content

Reply to "Do We Push Coaches For a Decision?"

Swampboy posted:

I still maintain that in the normal state of affairs where a player has been seen and evaluated without an offer or UV invitation being extended (i.e., the situation described in the OP), informing a coach that the player is about to make a decision is unlikely to make the coach think, "Oh, someone else wants him, I'd better get in on the bidding."

But in a sense, you have.  The coach will be put in a position to answer that question for himself.

A. Am I interested in the kid to the extent that I don't want to lose him (which I now know is a distinct possibility).

B. Am I not interested enough to feel the need to move on the kid.

So he will respond positively, negatively or not at all.  So in a sense, you've motivated him to make a decision and the kid can then act accordingly with his decision.

Let's face it.  Coaches are recruiting with a wide net and the recruits typically don't know where or how wide that net's being cast.  So a coach will always want to fish as long as they can in hopes of landing a bigger better fish.  But as some point, they need to cut their losses as the longer they fish, the fewer fish remain available.  This provides a coach to make a determination of whether to keep fishing in this instance or cut bait.