Skip to main content

Reply to "Do you keep the ball?"

kio posted:

At our HS, behind home and down third base line is wooded with lots of poison ivy.  I don't chase any fowl balls there.  Beyond the fence in left and center is a bike path and beyond that is a pond.  My son was lucky enough to hit one pond shot this year.  I went to retrieve it, but couldn't find it.  It must be swimming with the fishes.  No way I would allow a coach yell at me or my son about a kept home run ball.  That is not right.

My son's first HR on a big diamond (he was 14 or 15), and was wind-assisted, ended up over the RF fence in a gully choked with poison ivy and thorn bushes. I spent like 30 minutes tearing my pants and skin to shreds looking for that damn ball. I must have found like 10-15 older ones, but no HR ball. I checked twice. Hell, I contemplated going back the next day and looking, but thankfully, heavy rain was in the forecast. I was in the parking lot and saw the head tournament organizer and mentioned my plight. He said something like "that was your boy?" he reached in a bag and got me a new one. Class act. I was tempted to scuff it a tad and present it as the HR ball but decided against it. It is a proxy first HR on the big diamond ball.

As for the HC and assistant in the OP. NOT a class act.

Last edited by Batty67