Skip to main content

Reply to "Do you really want to commit the time to play college ball?"

We make a point of emphasizing this question to anyone asking to be part of our program.  We make it plain that what we do is not for everyone.  We are not a recreational enterprise; we help college-bound players reach that goal (and pro players when someone rises to that level).  What we find is that most players, due to the lack of maturity that is understandable given their age group, think that they want to keep playing forever.  And they see someone they know moving on, and can't imagine a world in which "that guy" plays in college and they don't.  They think that baseball is fun (which, of course, it is) and therefore, why wouldn't I want to keep going?

But just because you might have talent doesn't mean college baseball is for you.  Just like there are hundreds of potential careers, but you might not like but 1 or 2 of them if you're lucky, what goes on in college baseball is more like a job than it is like your youth rec travel team or even your HS team.  There's no shame in saying, "That's not really for me."

And yet, every year kids quit college ball because, no matter how hard you work to drive the nail through the skull, for some they just have to experience the reality before they truly have it dawn on them that this is not what they want in their lives.

I put together a weekly schedule and a year/calendar schedule to lay out for our guys what job it is they're applying for.  We do all we can to make sure we're dealing only with kids who truly want this.  But the best you can do is limit the number of kids who are taking up a team slot that would've been better devoted to another guy.  You'll always have some guys who get to age 18, 19 or 20 before they realize they're on a track that's not right for them.

But then again, who among us didn't change our minds about our plans for our futures between ages 16 and 20?  Most college kids change their plans for their majors at some point.  Many change schools, or leave for a time and then return later.  I don't suppose there's any reason to think baseball players would be so much different from everyone else in this regard.