Skip to main content

Reply to "Do you really want to commit the time to play college ball?"

This was my son’s P5 fall schedule as close as I remember. My daughter’s P5 softball schedule wasn’t much different.

Before breakfast - swimming for upper body strength

Breakfast

Classes - 8 or 9 until noon

Baseball - 1 to 5

Dinner

An hour after dinner - Weight lighting or agility training

9pm until done - Homework

Rinse and repeat

On Saturdays they were encouraged to support the football team after morning practice. Saturday night was free.

On Sundays my son slept late. Then he watched football. After the early game he had early dinner and caught up on homework he didn’t get done during the week or got ahead on the coming week.

He said the worst weekend fatigue wise was during the season. Saturday was rained out. Sunday they played a doubleheader. They left Burger King at 8pm for a ten hour bus ride home. They had to get signatures from their Monday classes after road weekends to prove they went to class.

Its understandable a lot of D1 athletes go undeclared (major) with general studies the first couple of years. My son majored in Econ with a concentration in Quantitative Analytics (essentially calculus and stats).

My daughter is five years older than my son. I learned the deal through her and her friends. I was in the lobby of a Sheraton in Boston early one evening. A UMaryland bus pulled up. I had to check to see if one of my daughter’s friends was on the bus. I was shocked to find out the #1 field hockey team in the country bussed everything up to ten hours.

My daughter’s friend was on the bus. I chatted with her in the lobby. She told me what she did on the field (leading scorer in the country) didn’t matter on the bus. Upperclassmen took up a side of an aisle. Freshman shared seats and carried equipment.

Last edited by RJM