Skip to main content

Reply to "Do you think baseball will get that 3rd paid coach?"

adbono posted:
MTH posted:
PitchingFan posted:
57special posted:

Until you see the stands filled with someone other than family members, friends, and GF's then I don't see it. College BB simply doesn't make money.

I understand this across the board but not when you talk P5 schools.  There are many P5 schools that are making big time money.  They should not be penalized because everyone is not making money.

I don't think ANY programs are making "big time money" off of baseball.  Accurate information is hard to come by, but from what I've heard over the years I doubt that more than a handful even break even.

The SEC programs would not be paying large HC salaries if those programs weren’t making money 

I wonder how much value is assigned to having a successful P5 program and, thus, increasing overall school image and desirability for students to attend, therefore doling out tuition money that may otherwise go to a different university or college?  That healthy overall tuition bottom line certainly isn't reflected in the turnstile numbers at ballgames but...

On the other end of the spectrum, I know for certain that many/most smaller schools promote sports programs so that student athletes can participate in college sports and, thus, will select their school for spending those tuition $$s.  This one is probably a bit more realistic to measure.  I often talk to schools who have 40% of their student body on school sports rosters.