Skip to main content

Reply to "Do you think baseball will get that 3rd paid coach?"

You need to read the article.  They have FL, Miss. St., AL, TN, AUB, KY all losing money.  Having watched a lot of Florida games on TV, I have no trouble believing they lose lots of money.  NOBODY GOES TO THE GAMES.  A fact that Kevin O'Sullivan has lamented on numerous occasions.  Haven't been to SEC games at GA and Auburn, but I have been to both for regionals.  Having seen their stadiums and support, they don't surprise me either.  Miss. St. does surprise me, given their tradition.  SC surprises me a little, but that's probably due to their overhead and the fickle nature of their fanbase.  KY and TN don't surprise me at all.  Neither is exactly a storied program.  

I've been to almost all ACC stadiums, and if Clemson and UVA are losing money, everybody's losing money.  You would think that UNC might do well, but their attendance is pretty sad.  Students don't go at all.  Mike Fox has complained about this many times over the years.   The only ACC stadium that I have not been to that might break even is FSU.  No one else is close.  

I suspect the 5% figure is probably closer to accurate, and may even be high.  But, assuming 10% is accurate, that's still only 30 teams out of 300.  How many of those 270 are going to pump another 50K, or even 15K, into a losing program?  

I'd be willing to bet that the second "paid" assistant at a fair number of those 270 is currently unfunded.  I know of several positions at some of those schools that pay $15,000 /yr or less.

Bottom line, if this passes the rich get richer.  And by the rich I'm talking about MAYBE the top 30-50 programs in the country.