Skip to main content

Reply to "Do younger brothers gain recruiting advantages due to older brother’s success?"

Yes and No. Yes from having a brother go through the process.  No from getting any offers.

Smoke has a younger one going through recruiting now.  My younger guy did so a couple years ago.  Our family had more knowledge about college baseball recruiting because we had all been to the rodeo before.  That was hugely helpful.

My oldest was a D1 guy.  PG Top Prospect.  Two way player nationally ranked at SS and RHP.  6'2", 200 lbs.  Super athletic; could've played soccer in college too.  Strong student.  Younger brother just wasn't fishing in the same pond.  Much smaller, less athletic, lower grades and test scores.  

Having gone through the process once, and seeing what a D1 player looked like, it was very very helpful to know my youngest was targeting very different schools and level of play.

No college coach would offer my youngest a roster spot because he had an older brother playing ball.  They offered him solely on his own merits.  A handful of coaches returned emails or calls or took meetings with my younger guy because of the relationship my oldest (and our family) established during his recruiting process.  But that was the extent of it.  Perhaps if they were closer in ability things would've been different.