Skip to main content

Reply to "Doctor Says Tommy John?!?!"

fenwaysouth posted:

My two cents....

1) Do a lot of listening, research, and ask a lot of questions.   Don't be afraid to ask tough questions as you are paying the Doctor for his expertise.

2) Get a second opinion before doing any medical procedures.  Do a lot of research and seek out recommendations from others who have gone through it.   I know a handful of players that have been through it and all of them used one of two Doctors that required a plane ride.   I'm guessing there is a reason for that.  Just my experience.....

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Yes! Never let a doctor cut on you without getting a second opinion (emergencies excluded). Especially when it's your long term baseball career on the line. Definitely do your research. I don't have a pitcher but I do know there is a newer "version" of TJ surgery that requires less recovery time (but not all UCL tears can be treated with it). I know two seniors who went down south last fall to the same doctor to have the new procedure done. Also, trust your "gut" feeling about this doctor. If you don't feel completely 100% comfortable with this guy, for whatever reason, find someone else. You are the customer!

Good luck, I hope you have a speedy and full recovery from your injury.

Last edited by Zia2021