Skip to main content

Reply to "Does anyone use Twitter to boost your son's exposure?"

But, what constitutes "stupid stuff?"  My List:

1.  A parent or player tagging a college coach trying to get them to make an offer.  I recently saw a parent Tweet her kids travel ball stat line to 4 or 5 college coaches.  Lady, they've all seen your kid and know he's a rising senior throwing 83.  All you're doing is  making them think maybe they should take a pass on the marginal kid with the whackaddoodle parent.  

2.  Same kid gets an offer from a D-2 school that typically has 75-80 on the roster.  What's the first thing he does?  Tweets that he just received his "first offer" from Podunk U.  Kid, do you really think this is going to help you with other schools?  Or that Podunk is crazy about you mentioning them to fish for other offers?  Get ready for club baseball.  

3.  And by now you've all seen the cases where coaches pulled offers because the kid posted racist, misogynistic or illegal crap.  

I have absolutely no problem with people posting videos on Flatground.  And, of course, I have no problem with HS or travel ball coaches trying to promote their kids.  But, the vast majority of parents and kids would be better off if they just stayed the heck away from trying to "help" themselves on Twitter.