Skip to main content

Reply to "Does the contact % of pitches swung at tell us anything?"

Tom Helper posted:

… My son was pitching, so I was also interested in his FPS % (especially at the rec level where most coaches will tell their kids to always take the first pitch!)

Using that information, I was able to start tracking the kids in regards to their ability/willingness to hit the ball, or see who was constantly watching good pitches.  

See aggressive.pdf. Might give you some ideas.

At  the younger ages it can be helpful to know if somebody is hitting the ball and advancing runners versus somebody that is afraid to swing the bat, or maybe just doesn't know what the strike zone is.  I guess it also helped me to know that my kid was good at putting the ball in play - just not so good at actually getting on base!

I think it’s useful to know who advances runners at any level. See mru01.pdf.

…Of course this was youth rec league - I assume at the high school level most kids can hit (unless they are taken strictly for their play at a position, in which case you are just going to hide them in the line-up where they can do the least damage).

Actually, even at the HS level most players aren’t very good hitters.

I had no idea there was actual statistics for that kind of stuff, but doesn't surprise me since it seems like there is a stat for everything in baseball!

Yeah, ain’t it great?

Attachments