Skip to main content

Reply to "Does the draft really get the best players?"

To BB Scout and others;

Since 1983 with our American Teams [37% in the Major Leagues] and the Area Code games [6% in the ML], I have evaluated over 8,000 high school players.

When I mentioned the word "evaluated", I refer to the many pro scouts who have recommended players for our Goodwill Series events and were involved with the coaching of the players.

The pro scout is "like" an FBI agent, he collect information as to "body language",
"make up" of the player and the players parents,tools and potential for improvement in physical structure and mental capacity.

It is difficult in a one day tryout or one day "showcase" to scout "make up" and the bat. BB Scout and a few other scouts have the ability to be "super" scouts. Their eyes see what others do not.

During our two weeks with our American Team in Australia and Japan, players are tested by playing the National or State every day and traveling to different cities [like pro baseball]. This is the "ultimate test" of skill and ability to adjust - physically and mentally. The pro scouts who coach our teams know who are the future pro players.In 2 weeks the bat and the player's "make up" can be evaluated

The development of the Major Leagues farm system is changing and will change.

Each team has 6 minor league teams is too many, too costly and counter-productive.
When the Colleges go to wood bats, the ML teams will reduce the minor league teams and increase the scouts. The "Indy" leagues have proven to be successful and several teams have added scouts to scout the strong leagues.

"Does the draft really get the best players"?
It is a question of "quantity"and four years later "quality". Is the player ready at 18 years old, is he mature and will he sign, because the odds are against him to make the Major Leagues, the same as a new employee of IBM to be the President of the Company.

"Baseball is a example of life".

With the necessary "TOOLS" and a very strong work habits; "go for it", do not look back as Satch Paige said "someone is gaining on you"

Thanks for listening.

Bob