Skip to main content

Reply to "Does the kid know more than me?"

In 2019s case I saw players he was better than committing to strong baseball programs. He didn't need a team to help develop him, I could do that on my own and so could his PC, he needed to be with a team that could pick up a phone and get schools to come watch him. Figured I was already paying the money for travel ball, why not shell out the extra money so  the schools would come to us and we didn't have to spend $800 on a PG showcase. It ended up working out, and the well connected coach charged half the price of what the other academy or brand name regional teams were paying and I didn't have to pay for showcase after showcase. 

Outside of being a good baseball player, the most valuable thing you can have is a person who can get your son attention. Took him to a camp at a school he really wanted to go to. He hit 90 for the first time. Nobody noticed because he struck out three 15 year olds and it was the 4th scrimmage of the day, all but one of the host school coaching staff had left at that point. The next week the travel coach called a better school in the same conference. He was told he'd put him on a list of guys to watch. One game, a camp, and a facilities tour later he left with an offer.

Your son is probably right that PG showcases are not the avenue. They can be good, but I can find better things to do with $800. The PG profiles mean nothing. The only thing that matters to coaches on there is his contact info and velo if he's a pitcher. The camps can be good if you're invited but going to all these camps is going to be expensive and may fall on deaf ears. From what I understand, your son is a good player. I've sent you a list of some of the more reputable programs in the area, as he gets older it's probably time to get him on one of them. If his current coach is well connected then your son isn't at the level of the schools who are currently recruiting sophs. It might be time to have a serious conversation with the coach. 

Last edited by PABaseball