Skip to main content

Reply to "Does the kid know more than me?"

I'm starting to feel like a veteran having discovered HSBW when my 2020 was in 8th grade...…. we have dabbled in several of the different recruiting channels over the last four years. We attended a free PBR event when he was a freshmen and watched him throw-up a 71 mph. Then we spent the next several months debating whether he should attend another event to erase that dang 71...….he didnt. We used Fieldlevel to create a free profile. This proved to be helpful. A lot of good information and his HS head coach used it to promote him. My son did the research, decided what was important to him and what he was looking for in a school. He narrowed down his list of schools and then we looked at their prospect camps. He attended a handful that were inexpensive, never paid more than $70, and obtained some good feedback. Two of these camps have resulted in serious interest. He did attend one that was put on by an organization that had 50+ coaches attend and 130+ players. I wont give the name but it was a money grab for sure. He played for a very good travel organization with a well connected coach. This resulted in some convos with different schools that he had never considered. The coach was a big help. Fast forward four years and he decided to do another PBR event. He does the event and a week later, the recruiting flood gates opened. He's had several schools reach out to him with interest and requesting he visit the school. Not one has asked him to show up to a prospect camp, they saw what they needed to see. The biggest lesson learned from all this...… be realistic about the players ability and know what pond you are fishing in. PBR and PG work for many players and the ones that it doesn't work for, most of them, probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. No two journeys are the same.

Recruited = Passion + Skill + Persistence + Exposure + Luck (I love this!) This should be on a T-shirt, FENWAYSOUTH