Skip to main content

Reply to "Does your pitcher only pitch?"

CaCo, I'm not sure what the "norm" is.  I am from your neck of the woods (south GA).  My son was a 2 way guy all the way until 2014 summer before his senior year in high school.  When he wasn't pitching, he played outfield, usually CF.  These are also the positions he played for his high school (AAAAAA) for all 4 years.  His last summer team was the East Cobb Astros, and he was told that he would be given an opportunity to be a 2 way guy for them.  Turns out, he was relegated to a PO.  He hated it at first, but after a few tournaments, he actually started to like it.  Our team was 17/18U that played all 18U tourneys except the 17U PG WWBA that summer.  All the older guys had to sit, as they were not eligible.  It really didn't matter because all of the position guys were 2015s, not 2014s.  In the 17U tourney, son got a chance to play after the second pool game because coach was upset at too many called 3rd strikes.  Son had been bugging him for weeks to let him hit.  So coach put him in the lineup.  Son went on to lead the team in batting average for that tourney.  Didn't much matter, he went back to a PO.  Coach explained to him that it was crazy as a LHP throwing 90 to risk getting hurt.  We both respected that.  It was just good for selfish dad to get confirmation that son could compete against that level of pitching.  Funny thing is, the coach at his current college gave him the opportunity to hit in the fall.  Son was excited about the opportunity until the coach explained to him a few days later that it would be as a DH, not a position player.  Son thought about it and politely deferred stating that he would rather focus on pitching and not take away time from that.  I thought that was a pretty mature decision and he said coach respected him for that.  You just never know.  We were always told to keep doing both and that at some point, the game will tell you which position will take you further.