Skip to main content

Reply to "Does your pitcher only pitch?"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

As usual with my questions I am confused by a thread.  Rather than muddle up that thread I thought I would ask my own question. I did look in the search box but there were mostly topics about whether being a PO hurts recruiting potential, not what the norm is.

So, with regard to HS or Summer teams, do your pitchers ONLY pitch?

One poster said they often feel that their best pitcher is their best hitter/fielder as well.  This kind of shocked me because where I come from if you are 16/17/18 and title yourself as a pitcher that is ALL you do.  Sometimes coaches will allow other positions to pitch an inning or two but if you are considered a pitching prospect you don't hit or field or do anything else.  You are a PO (Pitcher Only), and this even allows you a discounted rate on your summer team.

I wondered how it went in everyone else's neck of the woods.  Does your pitcher only pitch? How many of your pitchers get to hit?  What is the norm?

How could being a pitcher only hurt being recruited?  On a 35 man max D1 roster there are 15-16 pitchers.  With 27 scholarships to give out, who will get the lions share of the pie?  

Coaches make pitchers only in HS, especially the power guys, because they need them not to get hurt playing the field.

FWIW, pitchers ARE usually the best players and have played almost every position. They became pitchers because someone told them that was what they would do, not because they couldnt hit or play the field.