Skip to main content

Reply to "Does your son have performance anxiety."

My son is a 5'10" and 147 lbs junior right now (155 in season, he's a wrestler) and cruises at 83. Not going to impress anybody. The only reason he is getting opportunities is his ability to take whatever it is that he has to the mound. It is his unbelievable belief in his ability. He gets better players out simply because he can't fathom that anyone is better than he is. It's really irrational. It isn't something he has to talk himself into. Obviously he has experienced failure. He's got the attention span of a squirrel, he's immature at times and his warmup routine (or lack of one) drives coaches nuts, but it's that closers or fighter pilot mentality and a short memory that enables him to succeed at every level to this point. As a young persons pitching coach, I think we spend too much time on mechanics and far too little time on the mental part of the game. Kyle Farnsworth of the Cubs could have used some mental attention? I'd love to get into his head and crawl around a bit! Also Coach Knight, I really like your approach. Smile