Skip to main content

Reply to "Dominion District Poll, plus is there a better district in the state?"

While JR certainly has a few big sticks, from 1-9 I think Cosby's is the tougher batting order. JR is also going to have to put 2 varsity newbies at 2B and SS and that can be difficult.

What you have to like about JR is their unreal pitching depth. If one guy has an off day, get him out quickly because there's no need to press him just to cover innings. Someone is going to be fresh and ready to roll at all times. Cosby also has an excellent staff, but I don't know that anyone has ever had the kind of staff that JR has going into the spring.

If you've watched these 2 play in recent years, you have to admit that JR has a history of getting rattled when they play Cosby. You know going into those games that it's going to be nip and tuck, and for whatever reason it seems that Cosby is always the one making that one extra play to push across one more run or stop one more run or both; JR has been the team making the key error or walking too many guys.

The one thing about JR in recent years is that they were very young. This year they have 3 senior, ACC-bound pitchers and a 4th who's a junior of that caliber as well. They have a senior at catcher and in CF, and very experienced/capable juniors at the infield corners. That experience could well translate into getting over that hump and being able to finish 21 outs in a nailbiting dogfight type of game.

So to me those Cosby-JR games are the ones to watch. If JR's pitching dominates and the team plays with confidence, then they can pave the way to the state title. If they don't overcome their Cosby jitters, it could be a very different story.
Last edited by Midlo Dad