Skip to main content

Reply to "Don English Does It Again"

quote:
Originally posted by L.A.:
When I see comments and posts like the one that started this thread, it makes me extremely proud that I do what I do for a living. The easiest thing to do is to start throwing people under the bus because of the outcome of a ballgame didn't go the way it was "supposed" to. The Patriots two years ago can attest to something like this. Just wondering out loud to the originator of this thread, if you have teenage children or if you have ever coached a group of high school or younger players, how many times do they do exactly what you coach them to do? They may do it time and time again in practice and in some games, however, there are times when they will fail and not execute. It's the nature of the beast when coaching young men. What gets me is when someone gets on here and bashes a man who makes his living coaching and is in the public eye. Yes he did choose his profession as did I, but you'll never see one of us sitting behind your desk watching every move you make and bashing you when the outcome of a deal or some other crisis occurs that may or may not be your fault. I wish in the future that you'd approach Coach English face to face with your issues. Or even better than that, go get your certification to teach, (yes, coaches DO teach classes during the day when they are not coaching which is a whole 'nuther thing in itself), come to the public school place of business and lets see what you can do. This isn't MLB '09 where you can hit the reset button to start over again and you don't have all-stars sitting on the bench. You do the best you can with what you have and so be it.

Coach English is a very close friend of mine and at one time my boss. I had the honor of working on his staff at Coppell and with this group of young men. They were a joy and honor to coach and I will never forget my time there. Coach English is a mentor to these players and his assistant coaches. He teaches them all about life through baseball. He is a rock solid man who is a excellent example of what it means to live a Christ centered life.

LA, Last time I checked Coach English was getting paid handsomely at Coppell. Just because he coaches a great game doesn't mean he can get away with doing a half-baked job. I am really getting tired of coaches thinking coaches don't have accountability. Good grief. Don't get into coaching big-time high school sports if you don't want heat. If you are doing pro bono coaching at the YMCA then you a get a pass.