Skip to main content

Reply to "Don't, just don't say a doggone thing...."

BaseballParent23 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Louise posted:

I think this is an important line in this thread....

As for conduct during a game. I was a really good player and my dad got caught up in it. Embarrassed the hell out of me a couple of times. To the point I couldn't wait for baseball to end.

The thing is my dad was a good decent man. Put his family first, went to church, and most times wouldn't say sh## if he stepped in it. Unfortunately he didn't seem to understand I couldn't strike out every batter I faced and hit a HR every at bat.

That is A LOT of pressure for a kid, too much.  I see kids who are suffering through this all the time, every age and every field, it's everywhere. If I'm sitting next to them I always try to point out something good I see that kid doing. Those insanely tough parents seem to forget the good and just see the bad. Most adults can't perform under that kind of pressure. I don't think it makes kids better, it makes them bitter. That is not to be confused with the times when our kids do need a little (or even big) push in the right direction. But there is definitely a difference.

Good points regarding pressure!

Made a pledge to myself that I would never let sports ruin my relationship with my son. The biggest thing that I've tried to get him to understand is that my love for him has nothing to do with how he performs on the field.  So, I think that he doesn't feel any unnecessary pressure when playing. The game comes enough pressure so why should I add to it?

I also purposed to never lose friends or create enemies because of youth sports. I've seen too many folks who don't talk anymore over travel ball. 

Last edited by hshuler