Skip to main content

Reply to "Don't want to brag, son just hit 86"

bballman, The arm moving at a young age can cause some problems with the health of the pitcher. Sometimes mechanics will not be the issue. We had two pitchers as freshman that were touching 90. As Juniors they were now topping out at 97. Both developed problems with the shoulder but it was nothing structural. It was the muscles in the back of the shoulder that were the issue. The arm was moving too fast for those muscles. Basically, the arm was ahead of the shoulder muscles. They took very good care of themselves but both went through the same issue around the same time of the year. The player who graduated in 2007 was taken in the fist round by the Twins as an outfielder. The pitcher who graduates this year is doing fine and very aware of taking care of the arm. Just keep a close eye on pitchers who have a good size jump in velocity in rather short time.

About control. I agree with CADad. If you have velo and movement you will get looks regardless of control. Dylan Covey, the 2nd pitcher I am talking about above. He was rather wild his first two years in HS school. He body was maturing as well his velocity increasing so he was constantly making adjustments. In his Junior his growth slowed down a bit and he velocity was starting to level off. He was sitting around 92-94 while touching 97. When this happened his control came...well under control. He is strike machine now. It just took sometime for him to get feel and rhythm while he was maturing. The pattern I described seemed to fit all of the guys we have had on our program that were high velocity guys. A little wild as frosh and soph and control came as the matured physically. It just takes some time.
Last edited by sgvbaseball