Skip to main content

Reply to "Downhill Plane is BS"

Teach, I agree that swings generally have adjusted (slightly up/launch angle, etc.) and that somewhat negates the effects of a DP provided that pitch location is in the mid to upper range of the zone.  But the hands start somewhere near the shoulders and the hands have to take the barrel below the ball before it can get on plane.  When that all has to happen in time to square up a FB, it is difficult for most hitters to get there when the ball is relatively down in the zone and more so when it has DP.  So, DP is still quite effective, IMO.  I also agree with you that with the current swing adjustments, working up in the zone (selectively and with adequate velo) is also effective, more so than when the swing plane is more level.  I just don't buy that this makes DP complete BS, as one of the tweets states.  I know you aren't stating that as your opinion either... just tying this in to the OP.  I don't read many of the scout evaluations so i don't know if the use of the term is overused - I'm sure that is possible.  

2019, love the Sale/Johnson references... so, actually, if those two threw more over the top, they would be Chapman, which ain't bad either, right?    I know, he's not really a DP guy either.  This goes back to the first thing I said in my first post in this thread... "more than one way".  Movement is key.  A lower arm angle can have the same effect in reverse... to a hitter, that Sale/Johnson FB actually looks like it rises.  Also very difficult to hit.   In all three of these instances though, a seven foot wingspan, supreme velo and decent movement are pretty big factors.  

I don't doubt that there is little correlation to FB contact rate but I would be surprised if there was no correlation to higher GB rate for guys who both have DP and use it properly (staying down in the zone with it most often).  A good DP guy will be like a good sinker guy in the sense that he will get lots of GB's, not necessarily lots of swing-and-miss.  But still very effective and not BS.