Skip to main content

Reply to "draft and follow"

draft and follow...In my opinion, would be geared towards the player drafted in the lower rounds because the scout feels there is a problem with signability or that the kid should go to school for a year and add a year of maturity to his body and to his game. The organization maintains rights to the player until a week or so (not sure the exact time in days...could be a few days instead of a week) before the next June draft. Gives a club nearly a year to work out a deal with the kid.

Signing with a 4 year school would not necessarily improve your chances of being drafted in a higher round, if only because the teams might simply stay away from you if they were unwilling to give you a bonus and also provide you with "coverage" for school tuition as part of the bonus package.

I would say that signing with a 4 year school gives you leverage to get more money but I wouldn't say that it improves your chances of being drafted in a higher round. If you are already likely to be drafted in a higher round (top 5 rounds), signing with a 4 year school would make very little difference to a team. They budget for each round, likely including an amount for college.
Last edited {1}