Skip to main content

Reply to "draft and follow"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Texas2004:
voodoo...for real?

"so then...what's the purpose in draft N Follow?"

The purpose of DNF is that the team gets to hold a Players' rights at no cost to the team until a week before the next draft & see if he progresses enough to make it worth their while to sign him. From the Players perspective, you have the chance to go back in the draft after only one year rather than 3 years as is the case at a 4 year school.

So if your Son is drafted by a lousy organization &/or wants to play Pro ball sooner rather than later it is a desirable option.
You actually have more leverage... to a degree because a Player can be drafted after his Freshman, Sophmore, Junior & Senior Years instead of as a HS Senior, College Junior or Senior.

"Do they offer the player and then...watch?"

They have to make an offer but it can be as little as a contract for $850/month with no signing bonus. Then they watch him & see if for example he's a Pitcher & his FB goes from 86 to 92 or he gets command of his breaking pitches etc. then they offer him what they think he'll get if he goes back in the draft. They can also offer him nothing & let someone(or no one) else take him.

"It doesn't up your odds? Or does it?"

I would use DNF for a Player that wants to sign sooner rather than later as "insurance" against being drafted by a team with a poor track record of Player Development . If I was you, I would do my homework on the many great JC programs around the country so you know what's up. Be discreet & be sure to tell the JC Coaches to be discreet as well & that if your Son signs there, it won't be until after the draft.
Last edited {1}