Skip to main content

Reply to "draft and follow"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PGStaff:
Voodoo,

"Tigers had Bonderman up all year. He was a first Rounder a couple years ago."

Drafted by the A's & being in the Majors for 1 year hardly makes him a total success.

"Brewers had Ricky Weeks up last year."

He was only in the Majors because "He has a MLB contract." Let's see if he's there 3 years from now as more than a utility player then we can talk. Also, how tough is it to get a good player when you're drafting #2?

I never said it wasn't an advantage to be a #1 pick. What I was saying is that regardless of round, you're odds are better if you're not drafted by a 3 ring circus like the Brewers.

"Please don't say that you would rather have your client drafted in the 5th round by a certain team like the Dodgers, rather than being one of the 1st picks of the draft by the Tigers or Brewers. If that’s what you’re saying, I'm not buying that even a little!"

Sorry but that's exactly what I'm saying. I want my clients to make it to the Majors. that's where the serious $$$ is & I've got a kid to send to college in 2 years(LOL).

"I do agree that making the Big Leagues is the most important thing. Please look at the figures listed at the end of this post."

OK so at least we can agree on something. I've been aware of these percentages for more than 20 years.

"A few examples to look over:

1990 Tony Clark Tigers 1st round (big time underachiever)
1990 Ron Walden Dodgers 1st round (where is he now)
1991 Jeff Cirillo Brewers 1st round
1992 Chris Gomez, Tigers 3rd round (1st player to the Majors from this draft)
1992 Dodgers. Los Angeles avoided being shut out altogether on this class when well-traveled infielder Keith Johnson 4th round, at 29, was unexpectedly called up.
1993 Darin Dreifert Dodgers 1st round (HUGE under achiever with blackmail pictures of Kevin Malone to get the $$$ he's gotten from LA)

1993 Matt Brunson Tigers 1st round (where is he now?)
1994 Antone Williamson Brewers 1st round (where is he now?)
1994 Paul Konerko Dodgers 1st round (solid player)

A few players selected ahead of Nomar that year included Williamson, Josh Booty (Marlins), (NFL) McKay Christensen (Angels) (Minor Leagues), Doug Million (Rockies) (deceased), C.J. Nitkowski (Reds)(where is he now)?
1995 Geoff Jenkins Brewers 1st round" (DL all-Star).

OK so what's your point? Again, I never said it wasn't an advantage to be a #1 pick. What I was saying is that regardless of round, you're odds are better if you're not drafted by a 3 ring circus like the Brewers.
Last edited {1}