Skip to main content

Reply to "Draft Day Advice"

2017....no, it is a good discussion But then IMO you need to try to quantify what the non-$$$ items may be worth.  

I've been told by many that less than 10% use MLB scholarship funds so if you are going to use that $100K, may want to discount it by some %. Maybe 95% discount, maybe 50% but something.  if player gets permanently hurt, many/any colleges keep paying for same part of education. What about academics? Add that to your 50% so maybe the scholarship is 70, 75% etc 

then returning to non-$$$ items, what is college experience with your age group worth?  Future spouse? Life long friends? Opportunity to go to CWS? maturity level. College baseball experience. I could go on and on 

To each family, the amount a young man may willing to give up To go pro Directly out of HS is different.  If I told you what my son determined his number to be (with the help of his advisors), you would think he was crazy but I assure you it was well thought out. My son definitely wants to play pro baseball but more so wants to do it after 3 or so years of college. I hopes it works out for him but nothing is guaranteed.