Skip to main content

Reply to "Draft year issues"

Dad04-
One guy (who looked like he just rolled out of bed) followed us around the airport after a tournament. When he managed to corner my son he spoke to him without any concept of personal space...talking with his mouth full of food...and spitting peanut shells right onto the carpet of the boarding area!

But mostly it was a case of folks calling the house stating we really needed representation because my son was expected to go "very high" in the draft. In January he was ranked in the top 100 05' grad by BBA Prospects Plus. A few days later the calls started. Most of the scouts who spoke with us were pretty upfront about my son being a draft and follow selection if he was drafted out of HS at all. As I said before, he was a short stop drafted as a RHP and by his own assessment more of a thrower than a pitcher. We were also aware that those rankings had a lot to do with projection rather than where a kid might be at that given time. So we were never under the impression that he would go "very high" in this draft.

Our advisor called before the rankings were posted. He actually came out to see my son play. He told us how the draft works, what to expect, the different senerios tht could play out...including not being drafted at all. He asked us about our expectations, goals, and needs...and we formulated a plan based on just that. After the draft he helped my son find a place to play summer ball and helped us work out a few snags regarding where my son would play JUCO ball this Fall. He checks in on my son from time to time...just to see how things are going, if theres anything he needs...kind of like a big brother.
Last edited by crollss