Skip to main content

Reply to "drafted out of hs?"

Originally Posted by 2017LHPscrewball:

Sorry Ironhorse, but that article has little to no actual value in that it addresses about 20% of the entire picture.  I could see a college coach throwing out these figures (which are probably accurate - just not useful in a vacuum) to persuade a player to go to college.  There are some folks on this site that will say college is the only real choice absent really big money (sounds like $1 million is a decent starting point) or essentially zero shot at actually succeeding at school - they are of the opinion that the college fund (which generally gets included based on my understanding) seldom actually gets used properly.  Getting back to my original sentence - the 20% refers specifically to the mathematical calculations.  Once you get the math down, the real work begins on whether or not a kid (assume 18yo but could be 17 or maybe 19) can cut it in MiLB based on the competition and the less than luxurious lifestyle - if you can truthfully answer this second part, the math will probably work itself out.

No sure how it has no value when people are discussing what is or isn't "life altering money." It does a pretty good job of putting the money piece in perspective.