Skip to main content

Reply to "Drafting a NCAA 4th year player signing bonus"

PABaseball posted:
Dirk posted:
RJM posted:

Free agency has no effect on the draft. Players in the draft are years away from free agency. By the time they’re free agents the current CBO will have expired. If it’s not a decade long CBO two could expire. 

Players lose leverage when they stay in school until senior year. They lose anything to hold out with against signing. Typically when high picks don’t sign after junior year they either believe their stock will rise significantly (more money) or they don’t want to be in that organization. 

My broader point is if free agency is changing with such significance where the best of the best very well may never play 10 years in the league, the college degree becomes even more important. Couple that with the new bigger beautiful NCAA stadiums, maybe more players decide to use all their eligibility and agents/front office managements rethink the amateur draft. Already seeing 1st round picks choosing to go to college instead of going pro. Wonder if it’s the beginning of a trend. 

As great as some of the college stadiums are, none of them compare to Fenway, Wrigley, or even the majority of minor league stadiums. These guys are worried about getting signed to a major league organization, not worried about what the free agency landscape will be. Either way, the best of the best being out of the league in 10 years does not have anything to do with free agency.

Players want to get drafted, not stick around and enjoy their 4/5 years. Plus with the MLB scholarship packages, it just isn't happening. When a first rounder turns down money to go to college they are banking on taking their 3 years and moving up higher in the draft for even more money.

I know what you're saying, but older is not better in the baseball world. Rarely are you going to get a guy who is serious about playing baseball professionally turn down money to hang around with his buddies for another year. Don't forget the scholarships are not 100%. A lot of these guys, especially the out of staters, are often paying 60-75% of tuition. If anything I see more guys trying to get in younger than later. 

You make very valid points. And now that the big leagues are getting even younger, its best you get in the system early.