Skip to main content

Reply to "Drafting a NCAA 4th year player signing bonus"

I don't think there are any actual data out there to answer this question, but maybe y'all have anecdotal evidence: 

What do the bulk of drafted players do after they quit MiLB?  As I understand it, a kid who goes to a P5 program 1) isn't pursuing a particularly challenging major; 2) typically leaves without a degree; and 3) often wasn't that focused on the classroom anyhow (so maybe doesn't have a great GPA).  Most drafted players never see the big leagues, others maybe get the proverbial cup of coffee.  I understand the desire to chase the dream and I also get that these guys are still among the best-of-the-best who played the game.  But what is the typical path after baseball for a guy in his mid-20s with some college but no degree and little or no money in the bank?  Even if he got a $100k signing bonus, he probably spent a good portion of that for living expenses during his MiLB years.  I assume some go into coaching, some take jobs that don't require a college degree, some return to school and get their diplomas.  The discipline required to play at that level should translate for some into success in other fields (although we all know guys who will gladly spend hours in the weight room, but aren't that interested in other kinds of work).  What is/are the typical paths? 

I admit part of my question is that I'm concerned most of these guys would be better off long-term using baseball to get into college, then thinking more about a degree than about trying to get drafted.  But I don't really know what the typical trajectories are after someone ends his playing days at the MiLB level.