Skip to main content

Reply to "Drafting a NCAA 4th year player signing bonus"

Goosegg posted:

"I would think I would say to a kid, give yourself 3 years after you get drafted after your junior year. If your not making real strides in the minor leagues, hang em up and go back and finish your degree. Your likely only gonna be 23." 

First, in a vacuum I agree with your anaysis. BUT the devil is in the details.

Under this scenario, the club can claw back either all or part of any signing bonus because the draft contracts go (i believe) 5 yrs for college draftees.

Additionally, unless the draft contract is completed the kid can be placed on the "restricted list" which eliminates the MLB scholly program. (Players retiring due to injury and players released have fulfilled their contracts, and can receive the scholly and there is no claw back.)

Also, if a kid taps into the scholly program while playing, i believe his clock on the scholly begins ticking. There are time limits on when the first dollar must be claimed and how long MLB pays; also its taxable income; also doesn't take into account inflation; also reimburses based upon cheapest housing option the school offers; also, if the kid is attending an expensive private college, the contract needs to be clear that's the tuition reimbursement (or it'll be a state school rate). (My memory may not be perfect on the details.) 

Up to college, a kid doesn't need to burn too many future options (maybe missing a bunch of HS social stuff) - especially if he is a good student.  Choosing a particular  college can keep future options - both for proball and ultimate careers - open, or foreclose certain options. But, choosing a procareer does begin to burn some future options. (E.G, I know a kid who graduated Dartmouth with an engineering degree - in around 2010. He's now in AAA (for his third club).  Absent returning to school, his engineering skills have melted away.)

Like many decisions in life, following that elusive dream has 50 year ramifications. Some good; some not. If your kids were like mine, thinking decades into the future just gave them headaches.

As to returning to school older with baggage, that's going to be a case by case basis. Soldiers do it all the time. I dropped out of college after 2+ years (with 1 year of credits),  stayed out for 5 years and returned with a vengeance. For me, i was ready to learn a bit later and college econ was a breeze. I worked to make the $$$ needed and - for a motivated student - it was very manageable.

You’ve been very helpful Goose. I have a boy coming up who’s at a JUCO and going to a great baseball school next year. Has pro interest from about 4 teams so far. Youre really helping me help my son make an informed decision,  if and when the time comes. Thanks again.