Skip to main content

Reply to "Drafting High School Pitchers Is a Major Problem for MLB, Health of Young Prospects"

2019Lefty21 posted:

My son generally sits 86-89 and can touch 91. I have watched as the overwhelming number of kids throwing 93-97 has grown exponentially, and asked my 17 year old to focus on being able to better spot up his breaking ball and changeup and cut down on walks during this past fall. We went to Jupiter and the MO down there was “let a couple fly and show you can touch 93” but he was in a 1-0 game against the eventual champs after 2, and touched 90 that day. He pitched instead and finished with 4 hits 1 walk and 5 strikeouts over 4 innings. So did he do himself a disservice in front of MLB scouts? I don’t think so. I have watched a couple different kids I know blow up and touch 95 in High School, and both had TJ the year after they graduated! I just don’t think an adolescent 17 year old body can handle the torque involved. Call me old school but I will be content to watch what happens to his velo as his body matures between ages of 18-21

My kid has same velocity as yours, sits high 80’s, touched 91, pitched well in Jupiter.  He wants to throw 100 and never give up a run.  He wanted to touch 93 this summer. He was pissed he didn’t.

Doesn’t matter what I think.