Skip to main content

Reply to "Drinking on Official Visits"

I realize I wasn't to clear in my post (long day). What I meant was that the player host is going to take your recruit out every night (2 nights) where beer is available. The player host will not drink or offer your son/player anything, however, it will be present and may be offered by other students. Understand that your son is still being evaluated by the coach! Now if he comes back from his visit and tells you he did indeed drink, don't freakout. It doesn't mean the coach is going to pull the scholarship. But, understand that they want to know how your player is going to handle all this new freedom. You see these coaches have got burned so many times by selecting a kid with great talent, only to have him in screw-up or end up in handcuffs. The key is to tell your son when he go's out with the player/host not to drink, not to be loud, just be friendly and end the night early. Imagine if the player host comes back to the coach the next day and tells him your player is an idiot. All the work you have done all these years is compromised because of a single foolish night. Again, if you have already "partied" on your official visit, it is not the end of the world. As long as you didn't act like an idiot or do foolish things you'll probably be O.K. The rule of thumb is "alcohol is everywhere in college. (good beer rep.s are give a certain college as a reward for good performance) It is time to grow up now and start making correct choices. Your probably getting paid to play now -(scholarship), so this is the payoff for all that hard work.