Skip to main content

Reply to "Drinking on Official Visits"

quote:
Originally posted by Walawala:
coach2709,

I dont know where you plan on or are coaching right now but if every kid who drank and used tabacco during the season got kicked off my team, there would be no team.

I think some of you older people are being a little bit naive. College student athletes are adults capable for making descisions for themselves. At some point the parents and coaches have to stop making all the descisions for them. If they make a poor choice and get in trouble with the school or law, or their athletic/academic performance suffers because of it, then that is something they have to live with and take responsibility for. Its part of growing up.

I cant imagine there being a competitive D1 baseball team where nobody on the team used alcohol, tobacco, or even drugs.

If you want to run 9 choir boys out there you might go 0-56.

How old do you think I am and exactly what is your definition of old is? I would also like to know how old you are if you don't mind. To get the ball rolling I am only 33 years old. Although I am no longer a young guy I am by no means "old".

You said that
quote:
College student athletes are adults capable for making descisions for themselves. At some point the parents and coaches have to stop making all the descisions for them. If they make a poor choice and get in trouble with the school or law, or their athletic/academic performance suffers because of it, then that is something they have to live with and take responsibility for. Its part of growing up.
and I believe that supports my case. If it is a rule you cannot drink during season nor visits and you do then you made an adult decision and have to suffer the consequences of it. If it's stated you are removed from the team then the player chose to remove themselves from the team.

Do you honestly think no school in America doesn't have policies like this? Do you think the coaching staffs and schools of the 8 teams going to the College World Series don't have some sort of no drinking policy?

I know college students are going to drink and do drugs and all kinds of stuff that would make good parents upset and I am not going to go sneaking around the campus and outlying area trying to find them doing the stuff. If they choose to do it then they have to suffe the consequences.

It is about choices and having rules. As Bee has stated what if a guy goes to Pizza Hut to eat some wings, watch the NCAA tournament and drink a pitcher - he better hope I don't walk in on him because we would be in season.

If you really look into all college programs you will see the drinking policies - regardless if they are from the school or coach - are not something new.