Skip to main content

Reply to "Drinking on Official Visits"

No hardline thinking is not the same as personal responsibility and obeying laws.

I dont know what happened with your sons recruting trip.I am not winking at alcohol being offered to minors.What I am saying is it happens that many underage kids drink.I am not saying I agree with it or dont.

I am saying that your own son needs personal responsibility as well.And if he goes to a four year school at 18,he will most likely be exposed to drinking.Doesnt mean he has to drink.There are players that dont drink and the team doesnt care.

I think if that is a problem for your son,maybe look for a dry campus or strong Christian school that he will be surrounded by players with a conviction to not drink.

You are making it sound like these older players are forcing them to drink.I know my son as a senior really didnt hang out with frosh.The older guys kinda hung together.My son was friends with the younger guys but for one thing most frosh are in dorms without cars,and the older boys are off campus and many have their cars.

Look I told my son this.I dont want you to drink,it is against the law.But if you do,if you are stuck somewhere with no way home,call me.Take a cab,I will pay for it.Look I want my son alive and healthy.I dont want him to binge drink and be stupid.I am saying that if you can be open enough to have communication,maybe you or your son may avoid a tragedy for him or another boy.

At 22 my son and his friends are very responsible.Rules still apply.Call me,take a cab,have a designated driver.

The worse scenarios are the kids who lie to their parents and are the biggest and most stupid drinkers on the team.

Yes we want them to obey the laws,for God sakes were not stupid,careless parents.

BUT sometimes kids make mistakes,it is a unfortunante part of growing up.Just show grace when it happens so they will come to you.Maybe then tey dont get in a car,and drive,and hurt themselves or others.

Hardline is this is my way,there are no exceptions.Yes it is breaking the law to drink underage,BUT it happens.More than most of you want to believe.

If you take that as myself or Jemaz are condoning underage drinking and being suppotive of breaking the law then I guess we just agree to disagree.