Skip to main content

Reply to "Drinking on Official Visits"

quote:
Originally posted by jaggerz:
Tell that to anyone that lost a loved one due to drunk driving. Good luck!
I am not suggesting that all people who drink go out and drive but the national stats say that this is a
problem that has significant consequences.
Our educational institutions are failing miserably by turning their backs as if the problem of underage drinking is not a serious problem.
I once talked to a security guard at a college about these parties and his orders were to "watch a certain area closely because that is where the inebriated students crossed".

This entire topic is about drinking on official visits and along the way has taken some twists and turns.
We all know someone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver and I am sure we all know someone whose life was altered because he/she got caught DUI.

This, IMO has nothing to do with what goes on at a college campus or football weekend.

Not that I don't disagree, one thing I can't figure out is that while there are rules on campuses and punishments for underage drinking, all of that stuff goes out the window on football saturdays.

As posted above by fanofgame, if you do not want your college age players to not be exposed to what goes on, then you need to send them to a dry campus.

FWIW, I know a few young people my sons age who never went off to college and have problems with alcohol.

I am in agreement with Aleebaba, parents shouldn't expect anyone to babysit college students, if you do, you didn't do your job while they were in your care.

A big part in recruiting is helping your son to decide on the individuals (coaching staff) who will be helping them to be better human beings on and off the field. They will discuss every fall, their expectations in that regard and that includes alcohol as well as any other items that may interfere with the purpose in which they are there. Even then, they can't control what each individual does, and the choices they make.
Last edited by TPM