Skip to main content

Reply to "driving back knee - how critical?"

When I slow the down video....Hands may be a little high, but, after his load, knob of bat is pointed at catcher and bat is not wrapped around head but is at good angle to develop needed whip when swing starts.

Also, the bat head is always slightly behind the hands with the hands inside the ball at contact (i.e., at point when have transferred weight into firm front side at contact). This is seen nicely at 7, 12, 17 and 22 seconds of the video.

I think swing looks pretty good and any issues with consisent contact are about timing and ensuring hands are inside the ball. Also, he is a little heavy on the front side with balance which can also impact timing and consisent contact. Need to get to 50/50 weight balance at the point the load is complete and before the hands start moving forward and not be out on that front foot 60/40 which I see as you mention PMM as something identified to work on.

Agree driving of back knee forward (or what is also called gaining ground) is a result that some do better than others. Nice video link to MLB hitters gaining ground resulting in back foot coming off ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCAHx63yUiQ