Skip to main content

Reply to "Dropped 3rd Strike"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
I hate how youth teams give 2nd base.  I would throw down especially with no outs.  That run is as good as scored when they are at third with nobody out.  Throw down and get the out if possible.  And if nothing else it teaches them how to play the game the right way.

I was Asst. coach up to 12U and I had this very argument with the head coach.  I said look with 1st and 3rd and one out - if we get the out we might give up 1.  If we let him go we'll probably give up that 1 and possibly a 2nd on the same play.

Finally convinced him to try the throw down.  Kids always got lousy jumps since coaches wanted to be sure to avoid the pick off.  So we threw over once or twice - even showing the "best" move to hold and slow them.  But then when they went they never expected the throw.  The first kid was stunned when the ball was there waiting for him.  The kid from third thought it was a fake and froze. 

Got the batter for the third out and got the donut on the board something like 2 pitches latter.  Changed that game around.  Suddenly coaches slowed down with the running and we actually got that play where the pitcher catches the throw to work.  We messed up a few teams by being willing to throw down.

We lost a few runs and kicked a couple but it was what we were trying to do - get the kids ready to play HS baseball.