Skip to main content

Reply to "Dropping like flies"

These are recruiting failures by the players involved.  They simply failed to do their homework before choosing their initial school.

Life allows mulligans, thankfully, but they aren't easy.  It's a lot easier if you do your due diligence before you commit in the first place.

The one that bugs me the most is the player getting upset because his team has 8 guys at one position coming in.  That means nothing.  Where someone played in the past may have very little relation to where they'll play in the future. 

My educated guess was that we're talking about shortstops, by the way, because that's the only position where this would make sense at all.  There's actually room for 8 pitchers in a class, and no one would ever recruit 8 of any other position.

Many college coaches work on the theory that the best athlete on a lot of HS teams is plugged in at SS.  That may help him become a college player but it doesn't mean he's a college SS, or that SS is his best natural position.  The world is full of converted SS's.  Buster Posey, Willie Mays, Mark Reynolds, Ryan Zimmerman, Matt Williams, Troy Glauss, and literally thousands of others stayed at SS through HS or into college but made the move elsewhere at some point.

A kid who has played SS needs to ask the question -- if it's important to him -- do you think I'm a SS or do you see me moving?

Answers could sound like any of these:

You will get a chance to compete for playing time at SS.  You'll have to win that competition to stick there.  (B.J. Upton)

First, you have to hit well enough to get into the lineup.  The fact that you might be able to crack the lineup at other positions works in your favor.  If you are our best SS, you'll play SS.  If not, keep your mind open about other opportunities, at least initially if not permanently.  (Phil Gosselin comes to mind)

We like you defensively but we're not sure you're fast enough to play SS at this level.  We'll get you working with a speed coach but it's possible you may have to move to another position.  (Ryan Zimmerman)

We see you building up your size to where you're more of a corner guy and a power bat in the middle of our order.  (Reynolds, Williams, Glauss)

You may well be our best SS, but honestly we think you're a game changer in the outfield and we'd like you to consider moving there.  (Mays)  Or maybe to catcher even.  (Posey)

Last edited by Midlo Dad